Taking advice will ensure that you are supported every step of the way. Here are our top 7 tips for downsizers :
1. Don’t just consider your needs as they are at the moment, make sure it will suit you – or can be adapted – when you become less active and possibly less mobile. Psychologically, think of this as a new step forward, not the last property step – a feeling that can often deter downsizers.
2. Before you start planning the ‘what’, establish the ‘where’. This is by far the most important aspect of your move. Moving near family is frequently a sensible move, but don’t discount the fact that moving away from an established social life will be a wrench. Consider the demographic of the new area.
3. Make sure you have the facilities you will need close by. Remote tends to be a bad idea in later life. You need to have easy access to necessary facilities and leisure facilities that will enhance your life. More and more retirees are choosing to live in towns and busy villages : a central location, within walking distance of everything you need day to day, can be a great choice.
4. Don’t overlook practicalities that might become necessary later in life such as security, porterage, off street parking that’s easily accessible from the house and minimal steps, inside and out.
5. Try not to recreate exactly what you had on a smaller scale. Think of it as a new start and an opportunity to live in a different way.
6. Remember that you are probably looking at the kind of property that is in demand from a wide range of purchasers. Not only are small families, divorcees and investors in the same market, but there is generally less desire for large ‘status’ homes with many families preferring a more practically-sized main home.
7. Finally, don’t rule out the possibility of moving on-site with family. Some of the most successful arrangements are where grandparents have an annexe or separate accommodation. Support works both ways, both practical and social. The best arrangements are where each family unit has its own access, is self-contained in terms of kitchen and bathrooms, and where living together etiquette is established early on!
Still feeling daunted? See here how Stacks helps people like you get moving.
It’s easy to assume that the decision to downsize is straightforward; after all, you’ll presumably have cash to spare once you’ve sold ‘the big house’, but of course, the reality is far from simple. In our experience, it is rarely finances that are the obstacle to downsizing. More significant are a...
The eternal property dilemma for home-owning over-55’s is not ‘whether’ to release equity tied up in the wrong house, but ‘when’ will the current house become the wrong house and a burden? Research by Age Partnership, a retirement income adviser, recently found that English people aged over 55 currently hold more housing...
Can a garden be too big? And when is a garden too small? As professional property finders, Stacks often hear that ‘the garden is not the right size’, which may well be true for the individual buyer, but we do believe that there is a general expectation that the ‘garden is...
While London’s urban young are wondering when the right time is to cash up and move out to the country, a growing band of the rural old are considering a move in the opposite direction. Sara Ransom of Stacks Property Search says, “An increasing number of retired homeowners are cashing in...
Call us on +44 (0) 1594 842880 or complete the form below
When making probably the most important financial decision of your life, it pays to have the right advisors at your side.
Retirement or semi-retirement is an exciting stage in life. Finding the right home to live in and enjoy it to the full is important. We know that and will do all that we can to understand what you’re looking for… before starting to search. And search we will, until we find the house of your dreams.
Relocating is time consuming and stressful. We regularly work with clients who live abroad. We hunt, short-list, prepare your viewings, and make the search process as easy as possible. We oversee the negotiations, manage the conveyancing, and deal with the headaches, so you can concentrate on other aspects of your move.
A holiday home is often an interesting mix of investment and heartfelt connection. You want to use it, but you may well also be keen for others to use it too. We can advise you on what factors to consider in making your decision. And we can then find the perfect holiday home for you to enjoy.
Others say, ‘location, location, location’. We say, ‘location, purpose, price, capital growth, rental returns’… the list goes on. Knowing the market is critical. Local knowledge is key. We ensure all aspects of your investment decision are addressed. Finding, analysing, negotiating, and completing… it’s what we do.
“You showed fantastic attention to detail, anticipated all eventualities, and provided timely and practical help and guidance every step of the way. Above all, you supported me in making my own considered decisions, and I am so grateful to you for all your help in getting me to where I am now!”
“We firmly believe that without Rachel and her skilled negotiation we would not have secured the property.”
“We felt they genuinely wanted to help.”
“Stacks’ performance on this assignment has been absolutely outstanding and more than met my expectations. Her understanding of the brief and the ‘after-find’ service set a standard of professionalism that I have not met before.”
“It is not often that one is pleased to part with money but I can truthfully say that I am on this occasion. You have earned every penny of this cheque and what is more, you have done it with great courtesy and good humour. It has been very pleasant working with you. You really did take most of the stress out of our house hunting.”
“Encouraging me to think creatively about what could work for me.”
“Finding a plot not yet on the market and persuading the developer to enter into an exclusive contract with me to build to my specification.“
“I was impressed by the efficient, kind and courteous service provided by Stacks”
“Stacks were a tremendous help and we would never have found our home without them. She is a lovely person with a great sense of humour which was essential during some of our tricky negotiations“
“You gave a much-valued ‘younger’ perspective on our situation, which was a real asset”
“We found the service extremely helpful and professional at all times”
“I have been delighted with the service I have received from Stacks and will not hesitate to recommend Stacks in the future.”